Friday, November 23, 2007

Podcasts resume

OK, I finally got my voice back.  I have never had this much trouble with a cold.  What happened to the old conventional wisdom -- colds are 3 days coming, 3 days with you, and 3 days going.  This one has been "with me" for over a week now.  Not bad enough to keep me from Black Friday shopping though!!  I will admit that I bought some things for myself instead of just buying presents.  I got new computer speakers -- pretty pink ones.  I also got a new photo printer.  I've been reluctant to buy one since I worry about how much the ink will cost.  But Staples had a door buster for $9.98.  Can't beat that!


Anyway, today's podcast is for Abdel-Fattah's wonderful book "Does My Head Look Big in This? 


Abdel-Fattah, Randa.
DOES MY HEAD LOOK BIG IN THIS?
New York : Orchard Books, 2007, c2005.
Amal is an Australian-born, Muslim Palestinian “whacked with some seriously confusing identity hyphens.”  She is your typical high school girl.  She loves shopping, watching her favorite shows, IMing her friends, and boys.  But she also decides to wear the hijab.  This is a very personal decision that she knows won't be understood by many of the people she comes into contact with everyday.  Her headmistress is concerned because it isn't part of the school uniform.  Some of her classmates wonder if she is some kind of terrorist.  But she does have some supporters.  Her friends, her teachers and even a non-Muslim boy who wants to be more than a friend, all help her realize that wearing the hijab allows her to be true to her faith and herself.


Podcast:  http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/abdel_does.mp3

technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock

No comments: