Sunday, June 16, 2013

Today's podcast 06/16/2013

  • Herlong, M H. BUDDY New York : Viking, 2012 IL 5-8, RL 3.9 ISBN 0670014036 My name is Tyrone Elijah Roberts but everybody calls me “Li’l T”. I’m twelve and I live in the Ninth Ward in New Orleans, Louisiana. I’ve wanted a dog since the day I was born. So one spring morning, we are on our way to church when “WHAM” we hit a dog. We take the dog to the vet and his leg is broken so bad that they have to cut it off. So that’s how I got my dog Buddy. My Buddy. Buddy needed a lot of care and encouragement like any dog with only three legs would need, but he turned into one real good dog. I worked hard mowing lawns all summer to help pay for Buddy’s food and care, but then along came Hurricane Katrina. We had to evacuate the city and there was no room in the car for Buddy. I thought we would just be gone a couple days so we left Buddy on the second floor with food and water. Well as you know, Katrina hit the ninth ward in New Orleans real bad. Our house was surrounded by a lake of dark, polluted water. I didn’t get to go back to check our house until weeks later. When my Daddy and I got there, our house had a big black “X” on it which means that is was searched and somebody wrote “one dog” too. Buddy wasn’t there. Well, I sure hope you will read my story to find out all the rest! (Booktalk written by Lorreen Keating- GSF Committee/North Hampton Public Library)

    tags: podcasts elementary blueduke gsf

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments: