Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Poet Slave of Cuba

Christmas morning was a haze of ribbons and wrapping paper. The grandsons had to be awakened at 7:30 so we could get on with it! I have been up since 6:00 reading the paper and getting things ready. The three year old was really into the presents this year. The 22 month old was happy just to sit on his new bicycle and didn't really care about the rest of the presents. If only they could stay like that!! In the afternoon, children and grandchildren left to visit family and friends leaving me to get the dinner ready. I really didn't mind. After the turkey was in the oven, I put on the fireplace, made a cup of tea and had the rest of the afternoon just to sit and read. It was the best Christmas present I got!!

One book that I had been wanting to read but wanted a quiet chunk of time was Poet Slave of Cuba. I am so glad that I found the right time to read it. It will definitely be going on my best of 2006 list. And now the kids are all out at the after Christmas sales so I again have some quiet time to do more reading. I should be doing so many other things but I am treating myself now. So, off to make a cup of tea, start the fire and curl up with a good book. Ah, life is good!

Engle, Margarita.
THE POET SLAVE OF CUBA : A BIOGRAPHY OF JUAN FRANCISCO MANZANO
New York : Henry Holt, 2006.
IL 5-8, RL 4.8
ISBN 0805077065
Juan Francisco Manzano was a rather remarkable child by any standards. The fact that he was a slave in Cuba during the nineteenth-century adds to the incredible story. Told in verse, this is the story of Juan's life as he lives as a slave to several owners in Cuba. His first mistress treats him as a pet and enjoys showing him off. Juan can memorize poetry and opera and even the works of Homer and recite for the amuzment of those around him. Although his mistress treats him well, he is still a slave. His mistress frees Juan's parents and promises Juan's freedom when she dies. But this does not happen and Juan is taken by a cruel mistress who both loves and despises Juan. Through it all, Juan composes poetry that reflect both the beauty he sees and the horror he endures.

SUBJECTS: Manzano, Juan Francisco, 1797-1854 -- Poetry.
American poetry.
Slaves -- Poetry.
Poets -- Poetry.
Cuba -- Poetry.

No comments: