Friday, April 06, 2007

Fun day with great English teachers

So today I spent the day at the New Hampshire Council of Teachers of
English conference. What a great group of people. My program was
the first in the day so I got to spend the rest of the day going to
other workshops and discussion groups. At one point I wandered into
a book discussion centered around "adult" books. I so very rarely
read anything other than children's and YA literature that this was
fascinating to me. I learned about a lot of books I had never heard
of but now want to read. Gibson Books from Concord, my favorite
independent bookstore, was selling books at the conference so,
needless to say, I left with a bag full of new books. When I'll have
time to read them, I don't know but I couldn't resist them.

I got to meet a NH author I hadn't met before. Joe Monninger is a
professor at Plymouth State and has written a YA book. He's sending
me a copy. I can't wait to get it. Not only does it take place in
New Hampshire, but it's about a girl who learns about dog sled
racing. Since I know absolutely nothing about dog sled racing (other
than that one time when I lived in Vermont that I tried it -- don't
ask), I'm looking forward to learning more about the dogs and the racing.

Another NH author, Ernest Herbert, was the keynote. Again, adult
author so I haven't read any of his books. But, they sounded good so
I picked up his latest from Gibson's and have put it near the top of
my pile (mountain) of reading to do.

No comments: