Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tamora Pierce


I was sitting comfortably at home this afternoon catching up on my email when I learned that Tamora Pierce was in town! She was speaking at the Audi at 2:00. Well, it was 1:50 at that time so I threw on some clothes, jumped in the car and drove through a spring Nor'easter to see her. I was not disappointed. The first thing I noticed was how many teens were in the audience without their parents. The teens had also braved the nasty weather to see this icon of fantasy literature.

Ms. Pierce spoke about fantasy literature being about kids and their problems. Many stories begin with bullying. Just like many of our teens experience. She spoke of her books addressing real issues of today but placed in a fantasy world. Stories about drug abuse and terrorism and even guerrilla warfare. Emotional issues tackled include honor, religion, violence, justice and making choices

Ms. Pierce also mentioned many other authors whose works she has read. When I spoke with some of the teens after, this really made a point with them. They realized that even famous authors continue to read and learn from others. A couple of the teens thought it was cool that she mentioned so many other authors. I just thought the whole afternoon was cool!!

technorati tags:, , ,

Blogged with Flock

No comments: