Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The night of the buring : Devorah's story

Yesterday I had fun speaking with Linda Braun via Skype.  I had never used Skype before so it was a new experience.  Linda is teaching a class for Simmons College and we were speaking about the use of technology in school libraries.  Really fun.  At one point during the conversation, my 3 year old grandson came into the room to try to figure out who I was talking to.  He was a bit confused because no one else was in the room and I wasn't on the telephone.  Really funny expression on his face before he walked out.

I am on April vacation this week and had planned to just sit around and read.  I just haven't been doing too much reading lately.  Unfortunately, it hasn't turned out that way yet.  I have a few more days but lots of projects with deadlines.  The classes I'm teaching at Plymouth State and NH Technical Institute both end next week so maybe I'll have time then.  Although I'll have all those final projects to grade!!

I did get to this book last week.

Wulf, Linda Press.

THE NIGHT OF THE BURNING : DEVORAH'S STORY
New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2006
IL 5-8, RL 5.7
ISBN 0374364192
It's 1921 and Devorah has lost just about everything that mattered to her.  Her parents have died.  Many other people from the town have died during the war.  And now Poland is not a safe place to be if you are Jewish.  When a gentle man arrives from South Africa, Devorah and her younger sister may just have a way out.  The man has raised funds to transport 200 Jewish orphans to South Africa where they will be safe.  Where they will have enough to eat.  Where they will have a chance to go to school.  And where they just might find a new family to love.

technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

bathmate said...

it really very good.
I love it !
I like it !
thanks :)- .

Bathmate