Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Seeing is great!

This is not quite book related but in a way it is.  Yesterday morning I took a major step in my life.  I had lasik surgery!  Now, I know millions of others have done it but I had been on the fence for years.  My vision was so bad that I couldn't even see the clock in the morning that was next to the bed.  It got to the point that I needed reading glasses over my contact lenses.  So, I decided to take the risk. My worst nightmare was that something would go wrong and I wouldn't be able to see to read anymore.  But I made the plunge.  Yesterday morning at 8:00, I was lying on the table while a laser cut into my eyes.  How bizarre is that??  Anyway, yesterday my vision was 20/750.  Today it is 20/30.  The doctor said it will take a couple of days for my vision to stabilize so he has hopes that the vision will get even better.  I have been cleared to drive without glasses!!  I couldn't even walk across the street without glasses yesterday.

So, not really book related but it feels so good to be free of glasses for the first time in over 50 years!!

technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

The Patients Advantage said...

Great blog! Thanks. I recently had lasik surgery and by accident I stumbled upon www.thepatientsadvantage.com. I used them when looking for a lasik surgeon.

What I liked the most was that my profile remained anynomyous until I was ready to decide what to do. I received replies from four surgeons that met all the things I was looking for. I liked having that complete control without the sales pressure that some of these places can be known for.

If you are going to go down the cosmetic surgery road...better to be safe than sorry. Check them out.

LasikExpert said...

Congratulations on taking the plunge and having Lasik. Let's hope healing continues to improve your vision quality.

I work for a nonprofit Lasik patient advocacy. We don't provide Lasik, just Lasik information and we certify Lasik doctors.

Something that is book related (well, reading related anyway) is what we call "Sudden Presbyopia". This is when people who were nearsighted before Lasik suddenly need reading glasses after having the near vision removed via laser. Anyone who reads a lot and is at or past age 40 should learn about this concern and possible resolutions. Use your favorite search engine for "sudden presbyopia" to find the article.

Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

I am not a doctor.