Monday, January 14, 2008

And the winners are...

http://www.ala.org/ala/pressreleases2008/january2008/announce08.htm

It was pretty exciting to watch the announcements this morning. Thank you to everyone who helped make that possible.

There were no real shocking announcements this year. Perhaps the exclusion of Sherman Alexis' book from even an honor was the most unexpected. I admit I have not read The White Darkness but it is certainly on my list now!

The Newbery winner was an interesting choice. I loved Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! and adore Schlitz's writing. I was a bit surprised that it won the award though. The honor books are all on my love list as well.

The Caldecott committee went with a book that is not a traditional picture book. It is more of a novel and I thought it would be on the Newbery list. You have to admit that Hugo Cabret is a new and delightful piece that is sure to spawn imitators. The honor books are well deserved as well.

I was happy to see Lightship win a Sibert honor. I really liked this book and was fascinated with the lightship history.

Surprized not to see Shawn Tan's Arrival on any list. I was sure it would be.

Walter Dean Myers (May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture) and Orson Scot Card! Can't get much better than that!

Overall, I think this year's winners will be met with agreement and acceptance. I know I am very happy with the selections.


No comments: