Friday, February 22, 2008

Off to present for Otter Creek

It's been 4 days since we had any snow. Amazing. But not to worry. We're supposed to get 6-12" tonight!! I wonder if spring is ever coming. And I wonder where they are going to put this new snow. It is so hard to walk to work between the ice on the sidewalks and the 6 foot snowbanks hiding people entering the crosswalks.

I'm taking off for warm climes Monday during school vacation week. I'm doing a series of workshops for Otter Creek Institute. Tuesday is Memphis, Wednesday Lafayette, Thursday Savannah. Oh I hope I can feel the warmth of the sun. And meet some great new people. Anyone who wants to spend a day talking about children's literature is surely someone I want to know.

My eye problems continue but I have to keep hoping that I'll get my full vision back someday. At least I have one good eye!! I'm running out of one eye jokes for the kids though.

The latest podcasts highlight some new nonfiction books.

Sandler, Michael. TOM BRADY AND THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS : Super Bowl XXXVIII
Imagine. Five touchdowns had already been scored. There are only 14 seconds left and the score is tied! Now that was a Super Bowl to remember. The Patriots had the ball as the clock was ticking down. The young man with the ball was Tom Brady. The young man who was the back up quarterback just a short time ago. He reaches back to throw! Wow! Don't know what happened? I'm sure you'll want to find out.

http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/sandler_tom.mp3


Sartore, Joel. FACE TO FACE WITH GRIZZLIES
Can you imagine coming face to face with a wild grizzly bear? OK, he may look kind of cute on the cover of this book but take a look at this picture (pg. 4). Those teeth are huge!! I certainly wouldn't want to meet him up close. Joel Sartore is a photographer for National Geographic Magazine and these are his photographs of close encounters with these incredible animals.

http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/sartore_face.mp3


Scherer, Glenn. J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER : THE BRAIN BEHIND THE BOMB
You may know that World War II ended when the atomic bomb was dropped on Japan. What you may not know is who invented the atomic bomb. And how did he feel about the use of the bomb? J. Robert Oppenheimer was the lead physicist on the team that developed the bomb. They worked in secret on what was called the Manhattan Project.

http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/scherer_j.mp3

No comments: