Sunday, March 04, 2007

Author pronunciations

When I'm doing my daily podcasts, I just sort of wing it when it
comes to how to say the author's name. I am sure I don't always get
it right. I apologize for this! But there are times that I just
don't even podcast a perfectly wonderful book because I can't figure
out how to say the author's name and don't want to embarrass myself
too much by butchering it. Now I find that there is a wonderful site
where the authors pronounce their names for you!

http://www.teachingbooks.net/pronunciations.cgi

I love teachingbooks.net anyway and mention it as often as I can in
workshops but I hadn't seen this feature before. No longer will I be
afraid to say Lara Zeises- or Ron Koertge or even Ji-Li Jiang. Now
if someone can tell me how to pronounce Caroline Desnoettes, I'd be a
happy woman. I love her book and would like to podcast about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Nancy,
I'm very proud to appear in your blog and happy to give you the answer to your question : pronounce "Deh(as in destiny)-no(as in noble)-et(as in jet)". Actually my name is Lefebvre des Noëttes, from a Napoleonian officer who pioneered in Alabama in the XIXth century. But this is an other story ! I also wrote 2 books with the beautiful MFA of Houston.
I wish you a good reading,
Best regards,
Caroline "Desnoettes"