Saturday, May 19, 2007

New Hampshire Libraries Conference

On Thursday and Friday, I attended the New Hampshire Libraries Conference at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods.  What a beautiful location!  Unfortunately it rained the whole time so we didn't get the full beauty of the mountains.  But the hotel is lovely and I would recommend it highly.

I was involved with two presentations.  On Thursday, I was on a panel about using digital audiobooks with children.  The entire panel was very positive and the value of the audiobooks.  It makes me sad when teachers or parents tell their children they can't listen to books because they are good readers.  Why not listen?  Isn't that a skill that needs practice?  I listened to a book on the ride to the conference and the ride home. 

The second presentation was lots of fun.  It was a twist on my usual round up of YA lit.  Author Michael Sullivan shared the stage and we did "He Said She Said" with Michael concentrating on "boy books" and I did the chick lit.  Lots of fun and laughing!

Workshops I attended included Robin Brenner's No Flying No Tights presentation on graphic novels.  OK, now I have to really start reading them more.  She is such a good ambassador for the format!

I went to a presentation on the invisible Google.  Reg Aubry is great.  If you ever have the opportunity to see him, go.  He's well worth it.

It's always fun seeing old friends and making new ones.  For two days each year, I am lucky to be surrounded by New Hampshire librarians from school, public, academic and special libraries.  Such fun!


technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock

No comments: