Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Alex

Today is my son's birthday. My youngest. My baby. He is turning 21. How can that be? He's also a college graduate. Now for those to events to happen, it would mean that I am getting old. Or maybe I am already old. After all, I have two grandsons. I guess when you get to my age, it doesn't matter any more. But being 21 is a big deal. So we are having a barbeque and then we'll see what happens. I don't know that he is really anxious to go get a drink but we may take him if he wants.

Alex has always loved soccer. Playing and watching. He still kicks the ball around the backyard when he is bored. So, today's podcast is a book about soccer. Not how to play, but lots of interesting information about the game.

Thomas, Keltie. HOW SOCCER WORKS
Toronto : Maple Tree, 2007.
IL 5-8, RL 5.9
ISBN 1897349017
Do you play soccer? Or do you just like to watch? I am definitely a spectator. This isn't a book about techniques to help you improve your game. But it is filled with information that you can share with your friends. It starts out with the history of soccer. For instance, did you know that the ancient Egyptians played soccer? That was way back around 2000 BC. Or that a soccer game in England in the 700s used the head of a Danish prince as the soccer ball? Or that in Thailand, elephants play soccer. Just about everything you want to know -- and then some -- you'll find in this nifty book.

http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/thomas_soccer.mp3

No comments: