Friday, June 27, 2008

Arrived in Anahem

That was one long plane ride. Next time I think I'll take a plane that stops along the way. Five and a half hours -- not counting all the time on the ground waiting to take off -- was a bit much. I took a pass on the inflight movies. Nothing I wanted to see. Going back I just might buy those headphones though. It's Spiderwick!! I had planned to read the whole way anyway. But I was sitting next to a couple of chatty teen girls who kept me from concentrating on my book. Their conversation ran the gambit from typical teen talk -- music, boys, etc. -- to the origins of World War I. They also discussed science and debated the most important invention of the 21st century. From what I could tell with my eavesdropping, they were sisters --probably one finishing her first year of college and the other going into her senior year of high school. Now if I were an author and put two teens of a long plane ride, I doubt that I would have them discussing historical events.

I did finish my book though. Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley. She's doing a reading at ALA so I'll get a chance to read her. I liked the book and know that teens will as well. It examines the age old question "what will I be when I grow up." Of course, this is a bit different as the teen has to decide if she will become a vampire or not.

Tried to record a podcast last night with no luck. I have my junker travel laptop with me so I don't know if it is the computer or the mic I brought. I should have tested it before I left. I had to totally reformat the harddrive on this laptop after it crashed in a hotel room in DC so I thought everything would be fine. I'll play with it some more and see. I don't want to go out and buy a new mic if that isn't the problem.

I'm off to two half day preconferences today and then have the Affiliate Assembly meeting tonight. Hope I can make it. I may have to come back a grab a nap before assembly. I'm still on east coast time!

No comments: