Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bowe, Julie. MY LAST BEST FRIEND

Last night on twitter, I read a tweet about social networking. A library student commented that librarians do not necessarily go into the profession to be social. That is why social networking may be uncomfortable for them. I got to thinking about that. We do not all embrace Web 2.0 and social networking simply because we are librarians. There are so many aspects to librarianship that we aren't all cut from the same cloth. I love being a librarian because of that. I get to do so many different things. And to come in contact with so many interesting things that I would not ordinarily in my everyday life. I get to help kids learn about ancient civilizations and I get to help teachers learn how to help the kids. I get to explore and learn. I play with the latest technology and the tried and true. I think it is the best job because of all the different directions I go in each day. Other librarians may not enjoy that and want to concentrate on just one aspect. I spent many years as an academic cataloger and I enjoyed doing that. But I wanted (needed) to get out and be challenged by people. To be introduced to subjects and concepts that I had never encountered.

So what does any of that have to do with today's podcast? Well, Bowe's book deals with a shy little girl who has to deal with her only friend moving away. Now she must decide if she wants to remain friendless or tr
y to make friends with someone new. This takes her out of her comfort zone and can lead to new and interesting adventures. Contact with people can do that to you.

Bowe, Julie. MY LAST BEST FRIEND

Ida May is quiet, shy and has one best friend. That is until her friend moves away. Determined never to be hurt again, Ida May stays to herself. Along comes the new girl, Stacey, who seems nice. However, bossy Jenna takes over to become Stacey's new best friend. Yet, Ida May's intuition tells her perhaps Stacey doesn't want to be the new best friend. Taking her chances, Ida May secretly sends a note to Stacey. Surprised at the response, Ida May journeys into the realm of a secret friendship. Will Stacey discover who her secret writing friend is? If so, will she still want to be friends with Ida May? Discover the adventures in My Last Best Friend by Julie Bowe. (New Hampshire Great Stone Face nominee, 2008-2009)

http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/bowe_my.mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

|."Lady in the Water",Miss Dana-A Writer's Bestfriend;]#Comment no.343491`.|X"Bowe,Miss Julie.yM`Last Bestfriend"Booktalks & simple blog;]ieie:)/=*.|