Saturday, July 05, 2008

Funke, Cornelia. IGRAINE THE BRAVE

Last week I actually got to meet Cornelia Funke. OK, I just got to say hi during a book signing but I did "meet" her. Her ARC of Inkdeath was one of the most sought after at ALA. Scholastic kept them under lock and key until Funke's signing. Only those who waited in line for the signing got a copy. There was no way I was going to pass up that line anyway -- I was 3o minutes early and definitely not the first in line. So I got my signed copy and can now say I met Cornelia Funke!!

Today's podcast if for her book Igraine the Brave. It is on the NH Great Stone Face list for 2009. I acutally went in to a bookstore and bought a copy of this. Now those of you who know me know that I rarely ever "buy" a book. I borrow from the library or get review copies. But I had spoken at the Iowa Library Conference and was on my way home when I realized that I had packed the book I was going to read on the airplane. I had already checked my bags so I went looking for a bookstore. No such thing in Cedar Rapids airport so when we stopped in Cincinnati, I practically ran to Borders. And there I was drawn to the cover of this book and, of course, the author. So, I had a wonderful read for the rest of the flight!

Funke, Cornelia. IGRAINE THE BRAVE

Princess Igraine wants to become a knight, but her family of magicians just doesn’t understand her dreams. Castle life is boring and magic spells don't interest Igraine. The day her parents turn themselves into pigs, is the day a greedy neighbor decides to capture Igraine’s family home. Her big dreams are coming true but things don't always work out the way you think. (New Hampshire Great Stone Face nominee, 2008-2009)

http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks/mp3/funke_igraine.mp3

No comments: